Are you looking to buy the best nootropics in the UK? Nootropics are supplements which enhance your brain cognition, improve your memory, recall, alertness and mood. Many people choose to consume nootropics for studying, working long shifts or to enhance their overall brain functioning. Both natural and synthetic nootropic drugs are available in the UK. However, synthetic nootropics are illegal to buy without a prescription in this country, while natural nootropics are legal to purchase online and over the counter. In this guide, we discuss the varying nootropics in the UK, the best nootropics available and which ones to avoid due to their negative side effects.
UK Nootropics Available to Buy on Prescription
There are three nootropics in the UK which are available to purchase:
Modafinil is a nootropic which is generally prescribed for excessive sleepiness, including sleep apnea and fatigue. Modafinil works to boost serotonin, norepinephrine and dopamine levels – chemicals known as neurotransmitters to promote wakefulness, memory, mood and athletic performance. Doctors in the UK are unlikely to prescribe modafinil for enhancing studying. However, it’s been shown to improve symptoms of ADHD.
Modafinil is not known for producing harsh side effects. A study of sleep patients taking 300mg of modafinil over 16 weeks found no significant side effects, while it also has a low risk of drug abuse.
Nevertheless, some studies have reported that use in adolescence may cause permanent damage as the stimulation of receptors could have a negative impact on the brain.
Ritalin is commonly used to improve ADHD, rather than be prescribed for study use. Ritalin stimulates chemicals in the brain to aid hyperactivity, but it can also be used to treat narcolepsy.
Additionally, Ritalin is able to improve overall cognitive functioning, decrease fatigue and aid weight loss as it is sometimes used to treat obese patients.
Ritalin is potentially addictive and those with anxiety, glaucoma or Tourette’s syndrome should avoid its use. Stimulants like Ritalin are known to cause heart attack, stroke, blood circulation problems, psychosis and heart disease.
Adderall is another chemical nootropic in the UK which is used to treat ADHD. This nootropic drug stimulates the central nervous system to enhance concentration, attention span and focus. It’s sometimes prescribed to alleviate fatigue and narcolepsy.
Adderall users are at risk of addiction as well as additional side effects, including anxiety, dry mouth, loss of appetite and sleep problems. Anyone with heart problems, glaucoma, epilepsy, an overactive thyroid or extreme anxiety shouldn’t be prescribed Adderall.
The problem with prescription nootropics
Using these nootropics in the UK without the guidance of a doctor can lead to negative health effects. Many people using nootropics for ADHD are already searching for alternative solutions, such as natural nootropics, as the long-term use of prescription nootropics isn’t yet known and some report that the side effects of the medications are often worse than the symptoms of ADHD.
If you’re considering buying these nootropic drugs in the UK, it is wise to know that their sale is banned by the government due to concerns over the risk to health. It is also illegal to own them without a prescription. Plus, the manufacture of these drugs isn’t regulated in other countries, meaning you may not really know exactly what you are taking.
Why damage your health when you can buy natural nootropics?
Before we consider natural nootropics, let’s examine another nootropic with potentially harmful results – noopept.
Noopept in the UK
While you can’t legally buy noopept in the UK due to a ban placed in 2016 following concerns over safety, many people import this drug. Noopept is a nootropic, developed in Russia, which enhances the movement of a powerful neurotransmitter called Glutamate to improve your cognitive functioning.
Noopept is incredibly potent, with side effects including severe headaches, insomnia, nausea, fatigue and gastrointestinal issues. Additionally, using noopept as a legal high is a cause for concern.
A healthy alternative to buying noopept in the UK is to use natural nootropic supplements.
Best nootropics available to buy in the UK
Natural nootropics are a safe and effective way to improve your cognition, memory, concentration and mood. The great thing about herbal nootropic ingredients is that they can be combined to provide more powerful results. Here are some of best ingredients for nootropics in the UK;
- L-tyrosine: This amino acid produces adrenaline and dopamine to aid communication between nerve cells and potentially enhance mood.
- L-theanine: An amino acid which is commonly found in green tea. It aids alertness and concentration, as well as reducing feelings of stress.
- Rhodiola: Known for its adaptogenic properties, rhodiola is a herb which helps to reduce fatigue while improving cognitive functioning.
- Kola Nut extract: The seed from the kola nut plant, this extract stimulates the central nervous system to reduce fatigue and feelings of depression.
- Green tea: Green tea has been used for centuries to enhance mental alertness, increase energy levels and promote cognitive functioning.
- Curcumin: Curcumin (also known as turmeric) enhances the neurotransmitters dopamine and serotonin to boost cognition. It’s also a potent antioxidant to alleviate inflammation in the brain.
What is a nootropic stack?
A nootropic stack is the combination of one or more nootropics to enhance their effects for optimal cognitive functioning. The combination of green tea and theanine is a great example as it alleviates the potential ‘jitters’ that caffeine can provide.
Stacking several nootropic supplements together is a complex process, especially as it’s difficult to achieve a balanced dosage.
If you’re looking to buy a natural nootropic stack in the UK, Neuro Focus Plus is an exceptional solution. This natural nootropic stack delivers a range of nootropic herbs and powerful brain vitamins to promote cognitive functioning for improved focus and alertness;
- Vitamin D3 – an essential nutrient for brain functioning.
- Vitamin C - an essential nutrient for producing neurotransmitters. It’s also an antioxidant for eliminating free radicals which could be associated with neurodegenerative diseases like Alzheimer’s.
- Vitamin B complex – contains essential nutrients for mental performance, energy and nervous system functioning.
- Zinc – an essential mineral which contributes to normal cognitive functioning.
Why brain vitamins are required
While brain vitamins aren’t nootropic drugs, they’re required for correct brain functioning and energy. When you don’t consume enough essential vitamins, you’re likely to suffer with a vitamin deficiency, causing poor brain health, focus and concentration.
What should I look out for when buying nootropics online in the UK?
We suggest looking out for:
- Ingredients: does the website or packaging explain the ingredients used and why they’re required?
- False claims: Does the website contain images suggesting the nootropic has been developed by a professional like a doctor, but never actually states that?
- Fake review websites: Many websites review several nootropics using fake reviews to entice you to buy the alternative, recommended product. If one brand is recommended time and time again, the likelihood is that this is a fake review website and not an independent review.
Buying nootropics in the UK doesn’t need to be overwhelming if you take our advice into account. Unlike illegal or prescription nootropic drugs, Neuro Focus Plus is a legal, natural nootropic, available to buy in the UK, Europe and US. Developed by a bio scientist, doctor and expert nutritionist, this pre-stacked nootropic is safe and effective for enhancing your cognition.
Sources 1. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16322134