woke up less
fell asleep faster
What is Neuro Rest?
Neuro Rest is a 100% natural sleep aid supplement. It contains vital sleep nutrients to help improve the quality of your sleep so you wake up feeling refreshed, not drowsy.
Neuro Rest is not a sedative, it will not ‘knock you out’. It is designed to help your sleep quality throughout the stages of the sleep cycle; light sleep (Non-REM) and deep sleep (REM sleep).
If you don’t sleep well you can suffer terrible brain fog, can’t focus, feel and look exhausted. Quality sleep can help your brain and body, recover, recharge, and renew.
Sleep Quality Blend
Our Magnesium blend contributes to reduction of tiredness and fatigue112mg
An essential amino acid that is converted into 5-HTP when needed by the body100mg
5-HTP (Griffonia seeds)
A naturally occurring amino acid that increases serotonin to regulate sleep cycles90mg
Mel-Fruit® Sleep Cycle Support
Increases the availability of Tryptophan and a natural source of melatonin72mg
Increases antioxidant levels and a natural source of melatonin25mg
High in Tryptophan for 5-HTP regulation and a natural source of magnesium17mg
Mental Wellbeing Blend
An antioxidant and anti-inflammatory that has a naturally calming effect on the brain70mg
Increases the natural sedative GABA which calms and relaxes the nervous system10mg
Contributes to normal psychological function50µg
Whole food & plant extracts
Gluten free ingredients
Vegan & Vegetarian
Take 1 or 2 a night
How these nutrients help sleep
Our time-release formula starts with the essential amino acid Tryptophan. Your body doesn’t make it, so you’ve got to get it from outside sources via food or supplements. Tryptophan converts to 5-HTP.
5-HTP (5-Hydroxytryptophan) is an amino acid that your body does naturally produce. As we age natural levels of 5-HTP decline. Your body uses it to produce serotonin; the ‘feel good’ neurotransmitter that helps regulate your mood and sleep-wake cycles.
Serotonin turns into melatonin; the ‘sleep hormone’. Melatonin builds up naturally in your body as it gets darker, peaking at bedtime to make you feel drowsy. So the process looks like this:
Tryptophan --> 5-HTP --> Serotonin --> Melatonin
Neuro Rest does not contain pure Melatonin. Melatonin must be obtained with a prescription in the UK and most of Europe as it is classed as medicine. Neuro Rest includes our Melo-Fruit® blend which contains Montmorency Cherry and Grape Skin which are natural melatonin sources.Read more
However, melatonin alone is mainly to help you fall asleep and not to improve your sleep quality; so it can cause daytime drowsiness, irritability and you may not feel like you have had a quality night’s sleep. For more information see Melatonin - does it work? by Nutritional Therapist Chloe Cunningham.
As Tryptophan will still eventually be converted to melatonin we have combined Tryptophan and 5-HTP in Neuro Rest so you need lower levels of 5-HTP to still be effective. This reduces the risks of side effects you can get from high strength 5-HTP supplements. Plus it means the production of serotonin and melatonin is time released in a more sustained way across the night.
Registered Nutritionist Approved
Chloe Cunningham: BA (Hons), ND, Nutritionist & 'Health Is Wealth' Co-Founder
"Neuro Rest is still one of my favourite supplements. We recommend it to our clients"
Alexandra Neilan: BSC (Hons), ND, Nutritionist & 'Health Is Wealth' Co-Founder
"Check out my video below about essential vitamins, minerals & amino acids for sleep"
Does it have clinical trials?
Not yet - Neuro Rest is completing randomised, double blind, placebo controlled clinical trials in 2019 (the gold standard).
What we consider large scale, quality, Randomised Controlled Trials (RCTs) of ingredients and nutritional supplements for sleep and insomnia are limited. However, our formula was designed based on combining natural ingredients at levels that have been proven to improve sleep in the latest clinical study data.
Here are some of those clinical studies:
- Wyatt RJ, Engelman K, Kupfer DJ, Fram DH, Sjoerdsma A, Snyder F. Effects of L-tryptophan (a natural sedative) on human sleep. Lancet. 1970 Oct 24;2(7678):842-6.
- Birdsall TC1.5-Hydroxytryptophan: a clinically-effective serotonin precursor.
- Altern Med Rev. 1998 Aug;3(4):271-80.
- Oja and Saransaari 2007) Pharmacolog(y of taurine.Proc West Pharmacol Soc. 2007;50:8-15. Review.
- Mock D, 2005. Biotin. In: Encyclopedia of Human Nutrition. Eds Caballero B, Allen L, Prentice A. Elsevier Ltd, Oxford.
- 2010;8(10):1728 -European Food Safety Authority -reduction of tiredness and fatigue (ID 119)
- 2010;8(10):1728 -European Food Safety Authority-contribution to normal psychological functions (ID 120)
- Eur J Nutr. 2012 Dec;51(8):909-16. doi: 10.1007/s00394-011-0263-7. Epub 2011 Oct 30. Effect of tart cherry juice (Prunus cerasus) on melatonin levels and enhanced sleep quality.
- Howatson G1, Bell PG, Tallent J, Middleton B, McHugh MP, Ellis J.
- Islam et al 2016 Simultaneous analysis of serotonin, tryptophan and tryptamine levels in common fresh fruits and vegetables in Japan using fluorescence HPLC. Food Bio Science. Vol. 13, Pages 56-59. USDA National Nutrient Database 2016: Watermelon
- Archives of Internal Medicine, 1 2003;163:205-209.
- Archives of Internal Medicine, 2. 2007;167(3):296-301.
- Cancer Epidemiology Biomarkers & Prevention. Vol. 13, 936-943, June 2004
- The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism. Vol. 89, No. 5 2119-2126.
- Public Library of Science. PLoSMedicine Vol. 1, No. 3, e68 doi:10.1371/journal.pmed.0010068.
- Brigham and Women's Hospital Reducing Your Risk for Depression.
- NIH Senior Health Sleep and Aging
- Jay et al. 2009 A RANDOMIZED, DOUBLE-BLIND, PLACEBO-CONTROLLED TRIAL OF ORAL MATRICARIA RECUTITA (CHAMOMILE) EXTRACT THERAPY OF GENERALIZED ANXIETY DISORDER J Clin Psychopharmacol. 2009 August ; 29(4): 378–382
- Iriti (2009) Melatonin in grape, not just a myth, maybe a panacea. J. Pineal Res Apr;46(3):353. doi: 10.1111/j.1600-079X.2008.00616.x.
- Iriti and Faoro (2009) Bioactivity of grape chemicals for human health. Nat Prod Commun. 2009 May;4(5):611-34.
- 2010;8(10):1807 -European Food Safety Authority -contributes to a reduction of tiredness and fatigue (ID 244)
- Eby GA, Eby KL. (2006) Rapid recovery from major depression using magnesium treatment. Med Hypotheses. 2006;67(2):362-70. Epub 2006 Mar 20
- Held K et al. 2002 Oral Mg(2+) supplementation reverses age-related neuroendocrine and sleep EEG changes in humans. Pharmacopsychiatry. 2002 Jul;35(4):135-43
Are there any side effects?
5-HTP is an amino acid that your body naturally produces. When taking external 5-HTP sources through supplements your body has to get used to turning it into serotonin.
Taking 5-HTP in high does straight away does not allow the body to get used to this process and some people experience vivid dreams, and in extreme cases nausea, diarrhea, loss of appetite.
WebMD states that 5-HTP has been used safely in doses up to 400mg daily for up to one year.
Two capsules of Neuro Rest contains 90mg of 5-HTP. However, we still advise to take 1 capsule for the first 3 nights. Then increase to 2 capsules from night 4.
As with all supplements we also recommend taking a break so your body does not become used to the dosage. So we recommend taking a weekend off every 8 weeks to reset your tolerance levels.
Can I take it with my medication?
Although all of the ingredients in Neuro Rest are 100% natural, unfortunately we are unable to give individual medical advice as everyone's circumstances are different, particularly when taking our natural supplement with specific medication.
Therefore we recommend not taking our products if you are already on medication such as antidepressants, sleeping pills, anticonvulsant medication etc or are bipolar.
In particular we would not recommend it with any Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitor (SSRI) class. This is because Neuro Rest is naturally affecting serotonin - something the SSRIs are also doing but artificially.
To be sure, please check with your GP or doctor and show them the ingredients on this page so they can advise you.
Can I take it with my allergy?
Below is our allergy and suitability statement for Neuro Rest. If it says 'Yes' then it is free from the specific ingredients.
However, please be aware that our products are created in an environment where other products with these ingredients are created, so cross contamination is always a possibility.
How long does it take to work?
Neuro Rest is not a sedative. Really good sleep takes time.
Take 1 capsule for the first 3 nights, 30 minutes before sleeping. (This will help your body get used to converting 5-HTP to serotonin). Increase to 2 capsules from night 4 onwards. Do not exceed 2 capsules per night.
You may start to notice the benefits after the first night, but most customers start to notice cumulative effects after 7 days, and it can take up to 3 weeks to feel the full effects.
Many customers have reported that they:
- Feel less anxious at bedtime
- Wake up less during the night
- Feel more refreshed the next day